Marshall Mutual Insurance Company





Our Friendly Staff


Agents Page

Agent Login

Contact Us




History of Marshall Mutual Insurance Company


Marshall Mutual Insurance Company is one of the oldest continuous business operations in Clark County.  Marshall Mutual Insurance held its first meeting in Clark County on March 18, 1889.  The company was first called the Darwin Township Mutual Fire Insurance Company and was organized to provide protection from fire and lightning losses in Darwin, Anderson, and Wabash Townships.


The first Board of Directors consisted of:  S.D. Coldren, Samual Rudy, F.W. Stump, A. Schumaker, O.O. Tauberneck, Martin Kittle, William Kerran, J.J. Meehling, and Fred Bubeck.  The Board borrowed $60 from H.E. Tauberneck to pay for the state charter and application to begin operation.


The first claim paid by the new insurance company was paid on August 12, 1889 to Fred Leucht who was the holder of policy #57.  The claim was for a cow killed by lightning and a total of $15 was paid to Mr. Leucht.


On December 30, 1889 the books of the Darwin Township Mutual Fire Insurance Company showed an income for the year of $212.75 with expenses of $169.27.  The company had 72 policies on the books with $62,190 of insurance coverage in force.


On February 18, 1891 the company held its first meeting in Marshall and changed its name to Marshall Mutual County Fire Insurance Company.  Prior to this date they could only write insurance in Darwin, Anderson, and Wabash Townships.  With the February 1891 meeting the charter was changed which allowed the company to write insurance in all townships in the county.


The company continued to operate as a county mutual insurance company until 1953.  At that time, the company expanded to write coverage in Edgar, Coles, and Cumberland counties.  In 1956 another expansion took place as the company began to write coverage in Crawford and Jasper counties.


The Marshall office has existed on North 6th Street since the company came to Marshall from Darwin Township.  The first office was located in a building that stood on the south side of the current Kevin Barth Auto Sales building.  The office then moved across the street into the building occupied by the Independent Choice.  In 1986 the office was moved block north to the current location at 602 Archer Avenue.


In 1987 the name of the company was changed from Marshall Mutual County Fire Insurance Company to Marshall Mutual Insurance.  This name change was the result of an expanding business and the fact that today the company writes coverage in 26 counties which include: Champaign, Christian, Clark, Clay, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, Dewitt, Douglas, Edgar, Effingham, Fayette, Ford, Iroquois, Jasper, Lawrence, Livingston, Logan, Macon, McLean, Moultrie, Piatt, Richland, Sangamon, Shelby, and Vermilion.


Marshall Mutual now operates under the direction of Dwight Shore as the Manager.  Other members of the Marshall Mutual staff are:  Jeff Murphy, Asst. Manager; Wendy Tharp, Asst. Treasurer; Brent Kile, Claims; Katie Titus, Underwriting; Colleen Gard, Claims; Kathy Haskins, Commercial Lines; Laura Tingley, Receptionist; Wendy Tharp/Personal Lines; John James, inspector.


The current Board of Directors consists of:  Richard Glick, President,  Phil Partlow, Vice President,  Dean Huffington, Doug Littlejohn, Ed Allen, Lee Cutright, Leon Dillier, Ralph Gene Higginbotham, John Meehan, Greg Keller, and Tom Wernz.



Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
Hosted by Rural Computer Consultants, Inc.